Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Cooking for the cooking challenged

I know I've talked about my lacking of cooking skills before, so Friday I have decided to make a real dinner to force myself to practice. And I say real dinner, because usually when I "cook", it consists of making one little thing and eating it. Friday I will be making a meal.

So far, these are the recipes I'm thinking of doing:

COOL WHIP DELIGHT (from cooks.com)

1 lg. crushed pineapple
2 cans Mandarin oranges
1 (6 oz.) pkg. orange Jello
1 carton cottage cheese
1 lg. carton Cool Whip

Drain fruit well. Cut up Mandarin oranges. Mix in dry Jello powder. Add cottage cheese and Cool Whip. Mix well. Let stand overnight.

Easiest recipe ever...and its a childhood classic which I love. And I can make it ahead!

Baked Chicken with Onions, Garlic, and Rosemary (from globalgourmet.com)

Position a rack in the center of the oven. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
Rinse and pat dry:3-1/3 to 4-1/2 pounds chicken parts

Season liberally with:Salt and ground black pepper to taste

Toss together:3 medium onions, cut into rings
6 to 12 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
2 tablespoons olive oil
4 teaspoons minced fresh rosemary, or 2 teaspoons dried, crumbled

Spread half of the onion mixture in a shallow baking dish or roasting pan just large enough to hold the chicken pieces in a single layer. Arrange the chicken pieces skin side up on top, then cover with the remaining onion mixture.

Drizzle over the chicken:2 tablespoons olive oil
Bake the chicken until the dark meat pieces exude clear juices when pricked deeply with a fork, 45 to 55 minutes.

Sarina told me about this recipe last week. She made it and said it was wonderful and easy, so I'm going to give it a try and also add a few potatos to the mix. I'll let you know how it goes!

I'm thinking I'll probably make some crescent rolls for a little bread and a salad for some veggies. Sounds like an amazing dinner--and not all that complicated. Maybe if it goes well, I'll actually start to cook more often!

3 comments:

emily said...

major props, wifey. my high school friends and i have been rotating monthly dinners, and i did december and i made a red/white/green meal, and i have the BEST recipe for margherita pizza that was super easy and SO delicious! it also has the nutritional info (super healthy)! i also made a cheesecake, which took a little extra effort, but was delish, and had red and green m&ms, to keep with the theme! let me know how your dinner comes out - it sounds incredible! :)

Anonymous said...

best rice recipe hands down- its amazing!

1cup rice
1 can mushrooms (don't drain)
1 can beef broth
1 pk onion soup
1 cup water
1 stick butter

Stir in casserole dish. Oven at 350 for one hour.

Brittany said...

Ooh both sound yummy!

And how are you doing new mommy??