Thursday, July 28, 2011

Nostalgia

I've been having a couple of very nostalgic/sad-for-no-reason-except-missing-things days. It all started the other night when I went to a Stella and Dot jewelry party (love!) with my friend Jenn, and her friend Caroline who I had never met. Caroline is a music teacher, and told me about an adult singing group she's in called Collegium. Collegium is the choir I sang in all 4 years at Wake! I told her that I had sung in a choir non-stop from 6th grade through every semester of college. She encouraged me to look into joining, and I'm definitely thinking about it! I just hope my traveling work schedule will allow.

Yesterday I was trolling around facebook, as I so often do to waste hours of my life, and I saw that one of my friends had recently connected with Dr. Gorelick, the music professor at WF, and director of the Collegium choir I was in all those semesters. It was so fun to see his profile and befriend him online! Also of note: Dr. G is Kenny G's brother. The G stands for Gorelick. Fantastic! So anyway, both of those things added up to me being very sad and missing my former singing life, and mostly my Wake Forest life. Ugh.

I took Collegium every semester during my 4 years at Wake--every Tuesday and Thursday at 4:30. It was an hour of my life that was not consumed by business school or writing papers or much thinking in general. Pure fun! I miss that. The last Collegium class I went to right before I graduated was when all the sadness of leaving college hit me for the first time. The rest of the class got little gifts and flowers for the seniors, and I remember hugging Dr. G and crying all the way back to my dorm room. Thinking about that day right now still makes me sad, and makes me long for those Tuesday and Thursday afternoons. Today at 4:30 I'll probably be getting ready to leave work, go home and make myself some dinner, and get ready for another work day tomorrow. Then, I would've walked home after choir, talked to Erin about her day, eaten dinner at the Pit and hung out with my friends until a late(r) bedtime. I miss it!

Alright, enough reminiscing about that. I am excited for homecoming in the fall, and will be content dreaming about moving back to NC one day! As for other excitements, John is running a 5k this weekend at the Green Bean Festival in Blairsville, GA in the mountains! I can't wait...you all know I love a good festival. Then we're going tubing on the river. So excited.

Any fun weekend plans, friends? Any nostalgia for a time gone by that you'd like to share? Just curious :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

you should definitely join the choir! i know you would love it and meet a great group of people. you can dream about NC and we would take you back any day!