Friday, July 31, 2009

Pointless Nostalgia

Anyone who knows me knows that I'm an extremely nostalgic person. I hold onto scraps of anything that remind me of a special time or a person I miss. I have a hard time throwing away class notes from 6th grade. I have every movie ticket stub from the last decade. And in our increasingly digital/computerized world, I told onto texts and voicemails and emails that I probably shouldn't. I can become nostalgic about everything. The good news is: apparently, I'm not the only one! This recent NY Times article talks about Generation Y's affliction of being nostalgic about the not so distant past, because it reminds us of our childhoods (mere years ago) and provides us comfort.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/07/23/fashion/23nostalgia.html?_r=2&adxnnl=1&ref=fashion&adxnnlx=1249051672-ZbPIjhOQl8TXaPrKoMJYDg (for some reason my linking isn't working correctly, so you get a big ugly link!).

I'm proud to report today that I'm starting fresh (in baby-step kind of ways). Last night I forced myself to delete some things from my phone and computer that I'd been holding onto for no reason in particular--just because its what I do, and always have done. Anyway, it hurt to press "delete", but I almost felt lighter once I did. It provided a lot more release than I had expected. So, my fresh start is beginning just before a big, long two week trip to our nation's capital. I've been looking forward to this trip for months! Not only do I get to see K again, but Emily is coming for a weekend and I get to see KT and Ash, too! Personally, I'm excited about all of the above, but seeing my Big in particular. She is one of the best listening/ranting/complaining/commisserating partners I have. It kills me that I don't ever get to talk to her in person anymore, but I'll finally get to see her in a few days!

Happy weekend to everyone, and safe travels if you are going anywhere exciting! I'll update as much as I can from D.C. K and I have decided the ultimate goal for the week is to take a half decent facebook photo--hopefully we'll succeed!

No comments: