This weekend was beautiful. Perfect beach weather...breezy and sunny warm, but not hot enough to give me heat stroke. I stayed in a hotel that was almost at the end of the island--pretty remote and quiet, not many people staying there for the weekend which was great. There was also a boat marina and really amazing seafood restaurant right there too. All in all, excellent location. I spent most of my time walking the beach, looking for shells and reading magazines. Saturday was my friend's wedding in Southport, a really cute little waterway town, a lot like Wilmington, but more quaint. The wedding was outdoors, overlooking the Sound and it was gorgeous. Pretty white and peach colored flowers, lots of leaves and a nice sea breeze from the water. This pretty much makes up for the fact that i'm sunburned on half my face/neck/shoulders. Haha. Its not so bad today, but really itchy! Small price to pay I guess. The reception was nice too...yummy food, music and I got to catch up with a couple of good friends from high school who informed me they're both back in Raleigh working day jobs just like me hooray! Maybe i'll have even more grown-up type people to see.
The whole experience of the wedding was very surreal. Jessica looked gorgeous. Beautiful dress, great hair. Even the bridesmaids dresses were pretty! It just seemed like we were all playing dress up. Sitting there with my friends, I could've sworn we were still 17 years old and in high school, just gossiping and catching up on life after the summer. But here we were, 22 years old (almost..hehe) and one of us was married. Totally unreal. We have jobs and bills and more to think about than what color to paint our nails. Not sure how this happened.
And of course, being at a wedding inevitably brings up the fact that I am single while lots, if not most, of my friends are getting married or in serious relationships--or at the very least, they know what they're doing with their lives and have some kind of plan. I wish I could say the same of myself (except for the married part), but here I am still without a permanent job, boyfriend or place of my own. I know it'll happen soon enough and i'm ok with that, but sometimes the waiting really sucks. Its just that seeing something as real as a good friend getting married really throws my own life back in my face. More re-analysis, more thinking about my situation--both of which i'm pretty tired of after this long drawn out, emotional summer. I'm finally feeling pretty good, and all I want to do is have a good time and create a little bit of a life. The fact that everyone is moving back to Wake right now probably isn't helping matters. Being a grown up is hard!
So with that, the goals for the week are:
1. Talk to friends on the phone:)
2. Make a fun plan for the fall.
3. Start reading my new book.
4. Interview tomorrow morning at 9 am.
5. Stop thinking, start doing.
2 comments:
Blog post you might enjoy on being an adult: http://elasticwaist.com/2008/08/on-being-an-adult.php#more
The wedding sounds fabulous and really pretty.
Let me know what your fun plan for fall is, because I need one too and might just steal yours ;)
ps. i also cant wait for summer to end. fall always feels like a new start to me. and i'm also really in the mood to go to a party and meet new people.
Post a Comment