Saturday, January 31, 2009

Happy Hour

Last night I forced myself out of the house to a WFU alumni happy hour at a bar right around the corner from my office. As I walked to the train, I gave myelf a pep talk about surviving the awkwardness. But, alas, there was no awkwardness! As soon as I walked in, I saw someone I recognized talking with a bunch of girls. It turns out she was in my sorority at Wake--a senior when I was a freshman. She has recently moved to Atlanta after graduating from law school. I think I actually have a new friend! Not only her, but her roommate/friend from Wake and law school goes to the church I had already decided to go try out this weekend. So, now I may have 2 brand new friends AND I hopefully won't have to go to church tomorrow by myself. Last night was a good night.

This only reinforces what I guessed about stepping out of my comfort zone. I took one chance going to a party by myself, and it worked out. Not only this, but I have dinner plans with a whole different group of people next Friday night. And I have a new contact--friend of a friend--who lives literally right across the street from me. Things are looking up. with just a little bit of effort from myself.

Happy weekend! Today i'll run errands, perhaps hit the mall for some fabulous boots I found online at Nordstrom, and make the trek to Marietta for Bojangles and cheap Walmart groceries. Detox starts tomorrow, so I've go to get mentally prepared!

No comments: